Last Friday we went to Bristol for the weekend. A nice long 4-day weekend. Well deserved after a busy few months at work. As we were all away, I wanted the fridge to be empty apart from the essentials. But I had leftovers that needed using and didn’t need to waste. So I made this dish. It was quick, simple, and yummy. Just a few ingredients to create. I had a pot of fresh single cream, half a red pepper, half an onion, garlic, pesto and grand pandano cheese which I mixed with pasta and black pepper. Perfect for the minimum fuss type days.
Who can resist a sauce like this? You can add a few teaspoons of chilli flakes if you prefer spice or load with veggies. This works well with courgettes and/or mushrooms. It takes a matter of minutes, 10 to be exact to boil the pasta, sauté the veg and put the creamy cheesy sauce together. It’s perfect for summer days or cosy moments snuggled in front of the telly.
Preparation: 5 minutes
Cooking: 10 minutes
- 1 cup pasta
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1 pot single fresh cream
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 2 bulbs of garlic, finely sliced
- Black pepper to season
- Granda pandano cheese
- 1/2 tsp butter (to sauté) and 3 tbsp to make the sauce
- 1/4 jar of red pesto
- To a medium pan, add water and a little salt and bring to boil. Add pasta and cook to desired taste. Drain and set aside.
- Add butter and garlic to a wok and sauté for a few minutes on a low-medium heat. Add peppers and onion and cook until soft.
- Add the pasta, with the remaining butter and coat. Sprinkle pepper and add the cream and most of the cheese. Add a little salt and mix around. Add the red pesto a few minutes before serving.
Serve with a fresh salad and added cheese and seasoning. Viola. Quick dish!