The other evening I couldn’t really decide what to do for dinner. With Emily and I both sick throughout the week, willpower to cook anything delicious had faded and I really couldn’t be bothered. On Wednesday Emily had managed to eat a few things but her appetite was still pretty crappy and I although eating better wanted something quick and easy to for dinner, that and I knew the football was on, so it needed to be quick or Sam would probably forget his dinner and instead focus on the game.
I had some, beef steaks, chicken and a selection of vegetables that needed using as I still needed to defrost the freezer and had my new veg box coming the next morning. Still not having a clue what do to for dinner, I went on a little Sofie cupboard adventure and fell upon this recipe.
These Asian style kebabs, mixed vegetable rice and garlic spiced chicken when down a treat, it was light and perfect for a quick and easy mealtime dinner. Besides the marinading, it didn’t take long to cook and put together.
Preparation: 5 minutes
Marinade: 3 hours to overnight
Cooking: 10 minutes or few minutes each side grilling
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 tsp dried garlic
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 6 metal skewers (or wooden soaked for 5 minutes before adding to meat and cooking)
- 395g thin cut beef steaks, cut into medium strips, fat removed
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- Salt & pepper
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- Marinade for 4 hours or overnight if you prefer.
- Put one sheet of tin foil on a baking tray folding over the sides if it’s hanging over.
- With your metal skewers, thread the strips of beef onto the skewers almost doubling up with meat and adding your vegetable of choice, I’m using cherry tomatoes for a burst of sweetness.
- Once ready, bake in the middle of an oven or grill if preferred to desired taste, I served mine medium rare, then serve with your choice of sides.
Lightly Spiced Garlic Chicken
Prep: 5 minutes
Cooking: 45-55 minutes
Serve hot or cold
- 2 tsp paprika
- 4 tsp garlic
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp garlic flakes
- Salt and pepper to season
- 1KG chicken thighs and drums
- Remove chicken from fridge a few minutes before. Preheat oven fan assisted 180/gas mark 6.
- In a bowl add all the ingredients and stir.
- Coat each chicken drum/thigh in the mix and add to a parchment lined baking tray and cooking in the middle of the oven for 45-50 minutes until cooked and right side of crispy.
Prep: 5 minutes
Cooking: 7 minutes
- 1 medium courgette, diced
- 2 small carrots, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 6 mushrooms, diced
- 1 red & 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 1 packer Uncle Ben’s vegetable rice
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 tsp soy sauce
- Pinch salt & pepper
- To a wok, add carrots and onions to the sesame oil and stir for a few minutes.
- Push around the rice in the rice bag, slightly tear open the top corner and place in microwave standing up for a minute. Whilst this is doing so, add the courgettes and mushrooms to the wok and stir, thoroughly coating the vegetables.
- Add the peppers and seasoning and stir for a few minutes extra.
- When the rice is ready, empty contents inside wok, combine rice and veg together and serve immediately with your main.
The great thing about this dish is the vegetable rice and mixture of vegetables meant there was quite a bit left over. Sam didn’t eat dinner but he take a box of food to work the next day, which he said he loved and I have 2 portions of vegetable rice leftover with a beef kebab too that I had for my lunch. Perfect!